Impaired Driving Enforcement Crackdown
“Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over”
The Cedar Grove Police Department has announced that it will be participating in the impaired driving enforcement campaign “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over 2012 Statewide Crackdown”. This impaired driving enforcement crackdown will take place between the dates of August 17 through September 3, 2012. During the campaign period, Cedar Grove Officers will be out in full force to detect, arrest and prosecute any motorist found to be operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcoholic beverages.
A concentrated national effort, the “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” program helps to raise awareness about the dangers of drinking and driving through high visibility enforcement and public education tools, including posters and banners. Launched nationally in 1999, the program works to combat drunk driving during some of the busiest travel times of the year, including the Labor Day holiday period.
In 2010, alcohol-impaired fatalities accounted for twenty (20) percent of New Jersey’s motor vehicle fatalities. As part of the initiative, the New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety will be providing Cedar Grove with a $4,400 Grant to run additional DWI patrols during peak hours of the two week period.
The Cedar Grove Police Department is offering the following advice during the “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over 2012 Statewide Crackdown”:
- If you plan to drink, designate a driver, someone who will not drink, before going out.
- Realize that every drink you have makes it more difficult to know when you’ve had too much to drive.
- If you plan to drink, take mass transit, a taxi, or ask a sober friend to drive you home.
- If you’ve have too much to drink, spend the night where the activity
- Always buckle up – it’s your best defense against an impaired driver.
is being held.